OverviewThis course provides a firm theoretical basis to help participants understand the child with autism and tailor practice to meet their needs. This is an interactive course using a range of activities to help develop knowledge and practise skills relevant to supporting children with autism.
Autism is a lifelong condition that affects how a person communicates with, and relates to, other people. It also affects how a person makes sense of the world around them. One in every 100 children has autism and can have a range of complex difficulties which require understanding and tailored support in school.
The term autism is used to refer to all conditions on the autism spectrum, including Asperger’s syndrome.
This course is suitable for mainstream primary and special schools.
During this course you will:
- Learn about the strengths and needs associated with autism.
- Gain a perspective of how the child with autism views and interacts with the world.
- Learn about, and experience interventions aimed at supporting the needs associated with autism including an overview of T.E.A.C.C.H delivered by Springwell practitioners.
- Build confidence in supporting the needs of a child with autism in your school.
- Share experience with other education professionals.
Day 1 (0855-1500)
- Morning – Introduction to Autism: Triad, case study and basic theory.
- Afternoon – T.E.A.C.C.H (incl. resources).
Day 2 (1010-1500)*
- Morning – Autism and communication, sensory needs.
- Afternoon – Attention Autism, intensive interaction.
Day 3 (1010-1500)*
- Morning – Challenging Behaviour.
- Afternoon – Social stories, circle of friends.
Day 4 (1010-1500)*
- Morning – Choice of 2 workshops:
- Waldon and identi-play.
- Comic strip stories.
- Afternoon – Speakers – Parent, pupil, planning time.
* One day will begin at 0855 for your classroom experience, you will be informed closer to the time.
COST: SCC Maintained Schools £425 (£400 Early Bird) All Other £525 (£500 Early Bird)
Please use the following link to book:
Date & TimeMonday 26th February 2018, Monday 12 & 26 March, Monday 23 April 2018. 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Who Should AttendThis course is aimed at SENCos, Class Teachers, LSAs, Head Teachers and EY & Childcare practitioners.
Price£0.00 per delegate
Hinkler Road Southampton Hampshire SO19 6DH
Terms and ConditionsBooking Procedures
- On submission of a booking request, you agree to the Southampton Inclusion Partnership terms and conditions for payment.
- Payment will be generated on receipt of the booking request and time permitting, made in advance.
- If you are a Southampton maintained school, then charges will be raised via journal to the cost centre identified on the booking form.
- If you are a not Southampton maintained school, then a booking request will generate an invoice against the identified order number for the full course amount. The invoice is payable within 30 days.
- Places on courses will be allocated and confirmed on a first come first served basis.
- Full or partial charges will still apply for late cancellation.
- On booking you agree to the T&Cs. Please ensure your Finance Officer is aware of this commitment.
Click here to download our charging policy.