What is a Specialist Leader of Education?
Specialist Leaders of Education (SLE) are outstanding middle and senior leaders in positions below the headteacher, with at least two years’ leadership experience. They have a particular area of expertise and a successful track record of school improvement. SLEs support leaders in other schools. They have excellent interpersonal skills, are able to work sensitively and collaboratively with others and have a commitment to outreach work. They understand what outstanding leadership practice in their area of specialism looks like and can help other leaders to achieve it in their own context.
Requirements for designation as a Specialist Leader of Education
To meet the requirements as a designated Specialist Leader of Education for Southampton Inclusion Partnership, you will need at least 2 years’ experience and knowledge in a particular field of expertise and hold a leadership role or responsibility within your school.
In addition, you will need to be able to demonstrate the following:
- The significant impact of your contribution as a leader to supporting leaders in other schools or to your own school’s performance
- Clear evidence of outstanding practice within your area of expertise
- Experience of working sensitively and collaboratively with peer colleagues using coaching and facilitation skills to grow leadership in others, leading to sustainable improvement.
- Experience of challenging, motivating, inspiring and collaborating with colleagues to establish new innovative working practices.
To apply for the position of Specialist Leader of Education for Southampton Inclusion Partnership, you will need to:
- Complete the attached application form, demonstrating evidence for each aspect of the role
- Provide two referees, including your current Head Teacher
- Send your application to the CPD Core Group, Southampton Inclusion Partnership
Click here to download the application form.
In order to be designated as a Specialist Leader of Education, you will need:
- To provide comprehensive and relevant answers to all questions on your application form
- To undertake a formal face to face assessment activity and interview
- Satisfactory references
The role of SLE with Southampton Inclusion Partnership will be renewed every 4 years. After this period, the SLE will need to submit a portfolio of evidence.
|Advertising window||16th May 2018 – 8th June 2018||SIP Business Support|
|Complete and return application form with the names of 2 referees||By Friday 8th June 2018||Applicant|
|Selection process and notification of interview if successful||Week beginning 11th June 2018||CPD Board|
|Interviews and assessment process||Monday 25th June 2018||Agreed by CPD Board|
|Submission of application to SIP||By 1st September 2018||Main Board SIP|
|Submission of recommendations to National College for validation||By 1st October 2018||Teaching School Lead|
|Formal notification of outcomes||By December 2018||Teaching School Lead|
Printable version of this page can be downloaded here.